Marion Kelts was born on April 13, 1890 in Pelican Rapids, Minnesota. When he was still a young boy, he moved with his family to North Dakota where he farmed with his parents, Ida and Spencer Kelts. At the age of eighteen, he immigrated to Alberta with Uncles Sheldon, Ray and Mark Slater. He filed on a homestead on the S.W. 1/4 24-34-6-W. 4th. and built a large sod house and barn.

In 1910, Marion's parents arrived to take up residence in the Consort area. His sister, Minnie, came later in the year to move in with Marion keeping house for him. The sod house was plastered inside making it very comfortable, cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The windows were deep and always filled with blossoming plants.


The story was often told of the time Marion and his sisters Ethel and Minnie went to cut posts. They lived in a tent while there, and fastened their horses with a tether nearby. However one day the horses got loose, while Marion went looking for them, the girls went for a swim in a pool nearby. They were startled by a thundering roar, and looking up they saw a herd of wild cattle descending on them. They quickly grabbed their clothing and managed to escape. Marion, still looking for the horses, was overtaken by the cattle. There were anxious moments but he managed to avoid them by running to the top of the hill.


After several years of keeping house for Marion, Minnie moved out and was married to Will Redel. Marion then built a frame house (made from two granaries) where Donald Kelts' family now live. Following his father's death, Marion's mother lived with him and kept house. He had the future in mind while he was establishing his farm as he was courting a young lady from down the road.

On Monday Nov. 3, 1919 at 2 P.M. Marion married Ethel Houston who was born Sept. 13, 1901 in Lacombe, Alberta. They were married by Rev. W.S. Wickenden. They lived on the homestead and they gradually added to it during the years they lived there.

During the long cold winter, neighbours would gather at each other's homes for joyous evenings of taffy pulling contests, card parties and sing-songs around the organ. Many happy hours was spent at the Willowbrook School enjoying box socials. Leisure time in the summer months were spent playing football and baseball. Marion became very adept at wrestling and participated in matches within the area. He also had some interest in boxing.

Marion and Ethel were blessed with eight children: Viola, Donald, Muriel, Jean, Eileen, Preston, Arley and Lorna. Although they faced many hard times, this large family was always well fed and clothed.

The story of Marion's first tractor was often recalled, it was acquired in the early 30's and was a Twin City steel wheeled monster. Like many others in the desperate 30's, he got behind in payment and with six hundred dollars still owing, the company reposessed it. A short time later while at a local dealers he noticed his tractor for sale, he drove away with it for three hundred dollars and a chuckle.

Life was not easy, with long exhausting hours spent in constant battles with grasshoppers and army worms. Farming his two farms created some difficulties for Marion, but this was overcome by packing provisions and taking some of the family to help with the cooking and working the land.

School days added more excitement for the Kelts family, as Willowbrook school was three miles away making horse transportation necessary. One such travelling experience is remembered by the older children. One day Viola was driving the frisky team when suddenly the neck-yoke broke and the team took off like a shot. She tried to bring them to a halt or at least a slower pace, but it was to no avail as she could see she was losing her passengers. It was about then that she decided to bail out too. None of the children were badly hurt but one of the horses dropped dead when they came to a stop in front of the school barn.

In October 1936, the family moved into Consort in order for the older children to attend high school. Two years later they moved one mile north of Consort where Preston (Bud) Kelts lives today.

Marion took a interest in all sports, he and Ethel were great baseball fans, work was often halted to listen to the World Series on the radio or later to watch it on T.V. Marion also managed the local baseball team for several years.

Following Marion's influence, all the children were athletically inclined in track and field. A Kelts could be identified by the red ribbons they wore at surrounding track meets.

The Kelts family seemed prone to fires, some of which caused little damage and others which greatly damaged the Kelts home and belongings. One of the less harmful fires was set while Eileen was trying to strengthen the fires in the stove. She used a can of gas to coax the fire along but unfortunately the can caught fire. Luckly Pete Adams, a hired hand, was at the barn and managed to put the fire out. On another occasion, Donald was warming some oil in the porch and it also caught fire but there was little damage. Jean was filling the gas lamp one night and the can of oil caught on fire and again no damage. Bud and Arley started a prairie fire while playing Cowboys and Indians, which sent out an important smoke message; it brought Jean and Eileen over to quickly put the fire out before any damage was done. Donald also had a bad combine fire one year. One of the more serious fires started when Ethel set a coat in a tub with four gallons of high test gas to clean it. The fumes caught the glowing embers in the ashcan of the stove and a cry for help brought Marion and Donald from the barnyard. Marion headed for the house yelling to Donald to bring a couple pails of water, his false teeth were loose and fell when he yelled. He caught them and put them in his coat pocket. Arriving at the house and seeing the burning tub, he quickly took off his coat, threw it on the flames and carried the tub outside. The fire was somehow extinguished and when the excitement settled down, Marion noticed that his teeth were missing. He then remembered putting them in his coat pocket. Nothing remained of the coat but one pocket; you guessed it, his dentures were in it unharmed. Years later another fire gutted the house when no one was home but the frame was saved and the house has since been rebuilt.

Fires weren't the only hazards, in 1965 Marion had a close call with the power takeoff on the swather. He was standing on the tractor with a hand on the lever controls. The power take off quickly claimed his overalls but fortunately he was not injured. Escaping with his life, he still had to face two daughters Eileen and Lorna and a girlfriend at the car.

Over the years Marion always took an active part in the community; he was counsellor of the Wiste Municipality, served on the Willowbrook School Board and later the Consort School Board as chairman for a number of years. He was a member of the Credit Union Board of Directors, as Committee Man to the Special Areas, on the Gooseberry Lake Park Board and past chairman of the local Co-op Store. Marion was a strong member of the Social Credit Party. He was elected as the Member of the Legislative Assembly for Acadia-Coronation constituency in June 18 th. of 195^ and served in this capacity until March of 1963. During Marion's term as a M.L.A., the Kelts would rent an apartment near the Legislature and stay in Edmonton until the end of sitting.

Ethel and Marion both had green thumbs, resulting in a beautiful yard and a yielding garden, something in which they both took pride.

Ethel was a excellent homemaker and a very patient, helpful mother through the years of raising their eight children. She was a strong support to Marion throughout his political career and stood behind him in all his endeavours. It is believed she instigated the development of the Social Credit Ladies Auxiliary in the district. Their devotion to one another was their key to fifty years of happiness together.

The first years of Marion's lengthy illness were managed at home with Ethel's patient care. When it became necessary for hospitalization, he was transferred to the Stettler Auxiliary Hospital. Ethel took up residence in Stettler to be near him. Following his death on April 1, 1971, she returned to her home in Consort. She moved into Consort where she had a home built next door to her daughter Jean. Ethel became ill and never recovered from an operation, passing away on June 27, 1973. Ethel and Marion are buried in a cemetery which is located on a corner of the farm they once owned.

Viola was born on Oct. 10, 1920, took her schooling in Willowbrook School and later moved to Consort. Viola was very athletic and won several ribbons for running and high jumping. During harvest, she was one of the hired help driving the grain wagon and shoveling grain along with the rest of the family.

Loyal Schooler, who was born on March 25, 1918, came to work for the Kelts family from his home in the Gooseberry area. Loyal's father Fred, and his mother, Nellie, farmed in the area. Loyal was adopted by the Schoolers and was an only child.

On August 8, 1938 Viola and Loyal were married. They rented a farm in the neutral hills area and later purchased land six miles northeast of Consort in 1942. For nineteen years, they tended a flock of sheep as well as raising cattle and grain farming. They built their farm up to nine quarters of land and they farmed with their son Fred.


In 1968, they built a new home on the farm with all the comforts such as indoor plumbing. Viola's sister Lorna and family were visiting at the time of construction and their children came into the house all excited that Uncle Loyal had said they could have the "out house" and take it home to Edmonton. Lorna and Gil were very "pleased" with Loyal's generosity.

Viola and Loyal have five children: Donald, Shirley, Robert, Karen and Fred. Viola and Loyal still live on the farm which keeps Loyal busy. Viola was kept busy in the home as well being an Avon Representative and doing much handy work.

Viola has been bothered a great deal with arthritis and had one of her knees replaced. In 1995, she had her hip replaced as it did not heal from a broken hip.

Also in 1995 Loyal decided to try to find his natural family. To his suprise, he found he comes from a family of eleven children and the Johnson(his birth family) are from the Sexsmith area. Loyal's mother Phoebe was of Irish decent and had come with her family from Manitoba.

Donald Schooler (1939) took his schooling in Consort and had a keen interest in playing guitar as well as the violin. He also liked to spend time hunting which seems to run in the family.

After his schooling Don went into construction for three years and then took a job with the Special Areas. Don has worked in Hanna, Youngstown, Oyen and presently lives in Hanna where he was an Administrator with the Special Areas. Don retired and is now doing consulting.

Don married Beverly Kohsel (1949) and she worked with the Solicitor General's Department and then worked for the Hanna School Division until retiring.

Don has three children from a previous marriage: Bradley (1963), Dawn (1964), and Heather (1968). Bradley married Pam Lohrman and they have a son, Brent Loyal. Heather married Jim Willert and they have a daughter, Carly (1995). Heather also has two step children, Brandy and Perry


Shirley Schooler (1940) went on and furthered her education by taking a secretarial stenographer course at McTavishs in Edmonton and worked for the Royal Bank and Special Areas in Hanna.

Shirley married Danny Mohl (1938) in 1961. Danny operated a service station in Hanna as well as a farm. He now farms and works for K.B. Motors. Shirley works for the Hanna School Division.

Shirley and Danny have four children: David (1967), Audra (1969), Kristie (1971), and Jay (1974). David and his wife Kris have a daughter Michele (1989) and a son Kyle (1992). Audra married Darcy Limpert and they have a son, Devon.


Robert Schooler (1941) went to school at Consort. When he was twelve years old, he contacted polio, which fortunately, did not leave him seriously crippled.

Bob worked for a time with the Rehabilitation Centre in Edmonton before taking up employment with the Alberta Forestry Department. He has worked in Slave Lake, High Level and was office manager for the Alberta Forestry Nursery at Smokey Lake. He now works in the Lethbridge Agriculture Department.


Bob Married Judy Yeixa (1950) in 1974 and they have two daughters, Tracy (1975) and Sandra (1977). Judy works part-time at the post office.


Karen Schooler (1948) as a youngster, like all other children, had problems saying some words. When the family vehicle was stuck in the mud, and her mother got out to push and fell in the mud Karen cried,"Mamma fell in the "Gunga" (water)."

Karen took a secretarial course and in 1967, she married Ernie Kropinske (1946). Ernie worked for the Edmonton City Telephones in the planning department. In August of 1996, Ernie retired from the telephone company and plans to do some consulting in the U.S.A.

Karen and Ernie have two children Marcia (1973) and Blair (1975) .

Fred Schooler (1954) grew up in the Consort area. His Dad remembers a time Donnie suggested to Fred that it would be a joke to put water in his Dad's truck. A little while later they looked out the window to see Fred pouring water in Donnie's truck with a pop bottle.

Fred enjoyed playing hockey. He took a trip to Hawaii with friends. Fred lives in his mobile home on the farm with his parents where he farms seven quarters of land as well as raising cattle. He also farms Loyal and Viola's farm.

Donald Kelts was born on January 15, 1922 in Consort and took his schooling at Willowbrook, south of Consort, where he was very keen on track and field and also enjoyed boxing. On many occasions, he and his cousin Henry Kroeger would box or they would box anyone in the community. Often Donald would find his opponents much larger than him and would have to count on speed and fitness.

Donald started farming with his father Marion when he was sixteen years old. He bought a section north of Consort and got his start on his own.


Donald met Helen Schetzsle who was born on August 6, 1922. She worked at the Consort Hospital. Helen, better known by all as Dot, came from Naco where her family farmed and her father operated a garage.

Their first home was an older house located on Donald's parents farm. He traded a section of land for three quarters six miles south of Consort. They moved into the small house that had been his parents home on their family homestead.

Donald as a youngster got into some mischief so I guess it was no wonder that his brothers Bud and Arley were so full of it. They liked to call Donald "Daddy Long Legs" but only did it when the folks were home. Donald must not have been much of a swimmer as when he was a youngster he came close to drowning in a dugout.

In the early sixties, Dot and Donald built a new house on the same site as their original home. Over the years, they have built their farm up to eleven and one half sections where they raised cattle as well as grain farmed.

One evening Donald was swathing grain when he reached back to adjust the machinery and at that moment the tractor went over a large rock throwing him to the ground in front of the swather. His first reaction was to try to grab the reel and pull himself up. Fortunately, he thought better of that idea as he may have been caught in the knife. The ground was soft and fortunately he was a slight man and the machine pushed him into the soil and continued over him. He got up and chased the tractor and stopped it before going to the hospital where he was fortunate to have only received some broken ribs.


Dot and Donald have five sons: Grant, Jim, Rick, Greg and Byron. In 1981, Donald and Dot sold a portion of their land to their sons, Grant, Rick and Greg. The retirement plans are still on the back burner as they have made improvements to their home and continue to live on the farm.

Donald and Dot's home is always open to anyone and with a family of boys, Dot can never be sure of how many will be coming for meals but always manages to put on a great spread with no notice. Donald still enjoys the farm life and it will be hard to get him off the farm. Donald and Dot usually make an annual trip to Las Vegas.

Grant Kelts was born in 1947 and was married to Jeanne Jarret (1951). They had one son, Kane. Grant trains horses and live just east of Consort. Grant has remarried Carolyn Unsworth (1953).

Kane (1968) married Marie Dogson (1970)

Jim Kelts was born in 1952 and married Connie Hersman (1951). They have two children, Amanda (1982) and Sam (1983). Jim rode in the rodeo circuit and has won many awards and achievements.


Rick Kelts was born in 1953 and he married Sandy Little (1960) from Balgone, Saskatchewan. They have a son, Joel (1988) and a daughter, Jallsa (1991). Rick and his brother Greg farm the Kelts farm.

Greg Kelts, born in 1956 farms the home farm with Rick. Greg married Heather Geouhn and they have a daughter Melisa (1991)

Byron Kelts was born in 1961. He, like his brother Jim, was very active in the rodeo business. Byron is now in the fence building business. He and Martha Anderson (1962) live east of the old farm.

Muriel Kelts was born on December 15, 1922, she arrived eleven months to the day after her brother Donald. Being so close in age, they were great buddies over the years. The name Muriel proved troublesome for her father to pronounce and as she was a small baby they called her Tiny. This nickname has remained with her over the years and seldom does any of her family refer to her other than Tiny.

Muriel attended Wlllowbrook School starting when she was five years old. Her best friend was a neighbour girl named Lucille Isaman. While Muriel never learned to skate or ride a bike she enjoyed track meets very much. Muriel and Lucille used to be able to run the three legged race as fast as they could run alone. They practiced by hanging on to the back of the wagon with their hands and running together three legged.

Lester Isaman was born on February 23, 1919. His parents were Edwin and Nina Isaman. The Isamans' homesteaded the farm next to the Kelts farm.


Les took a shine to Muriel at a very young age and at the age of twelve or thirteen they went on their first date to a movie; however Muriel's dad insisted that her brother Donald go along. Another time Lester took Muriel to the Czar Stampede, they and their friends did not get home until seven in the morning as they ran out of gas. It seems this excuse is older than we think.

Marion Kelts told Lester that would be the last time that it would happen; he was right as about a year later on December 30, 1941, Muriel and Lester were married.

They lived for the first six months of their marriage on the old Kelts' farm, which is now Donald Kelts farm. They purchased ten acres of the Noble farm, across from land now owned by their son-in-law Jim Hutchings. The land they were farming was four hundred and eighty acres that Lester purchased from his father. In 1944, they rented the Redel farm and moved onto it for one and a half years, then they moved into a large house in Consort.

In 1959 the family moved to Stettler so Lester could be close to his customers as he now had a chain of juke boxes around the country. This move also allowed the older children to attend a larger school. At this time, Lester owned some houses in Edmonton. Lorna remembers the time she helped Lester paint the houses and Lester took her to supper and after eating, Lester discovered that he had forgot his wallet and had to borrow money for supper Lorna.

The Isaman men were very active in curling, competing in curling events that were of note. Their homes are filled trophies and prizes that they have won.

In 1967 the family built a new house on their farm and returned to the Consort area farming 1760 acres of land. They sold the farm in 1972 to their son Lorence and their son-in-law Jim Hutchings. They continued to live on the farm for a few years and then moved to Red Deer.

In Red Deer Lester sold real estate for Block Brothers until moving to Edmonton. Lester was a representitive for Castle, Slick 50, and Bon Del products. Muriel and Lester live in Millwoods where they are kept busy with family and selling.

Muriel and Lester have eight children: Jack, Betty, Lorence, Nora, Jim, Don, Carol and JoAnn.


Jack Isaman (1942) took his schooling in Consort and Stettler. He was very active in curling and was on the winning team in the Dominion High School Bonspiel. Jack opened a furniture and appliance store in Castor and when this did not prove too successful he moved to Edmonton. Jack attended the University of Alberta and graduated as an accountant. Jack has a son, Jason (1969) and a daughter, Christine (1979) from previous marriages.


Jack lived in San Deigo, California and then moved to Edmonton. He and his wife Denice (1956) lived in the west end of Edmonton before moving to Calgary in 1995.


Betty Isaman (1943) attended school in Consort and Stettler. She married Thomas Coats (1937) and they had a son, Thomas (1962) and a daughter, Karoline (1963). They lived in Consort where Thomas worked at the Gas Plant. They moved to Fort McMurray where Thomas worked on the Tar Sands. Betty and Tommy divorced.

Betty married Robert Curtis and they lived in Fort McMurray where Bob was a bus driver. Betty has recently moved to Edmonton. Karoline is married to John Sitarski (1952) and they have a son, Jeff (1994).


Lorence Isaman (1945) attended school in Consort and Stettler and also participated in the Dominion School Boy curling finals in Regina in 1964. Lorence competed in provincial track meets and was on the midget Alberta baseball champs. He was in the provincial Briar playdowns on two occasions. Lorence farmed with his dad for a while, and then in 1972, he and Jim Hutchings purchased the twenty nine quarters from their parents.

Lorence married Joan Mitchell (1948). Joan graduated from the University of Alberta in Home Economics.

Lorence and Joan have three children, Diane (1974), Janis (1976) and David (1981). Lorence and Joan operate a farm five miles south and two miles east of Consort.

Diane is attending the Lutheren College in Camrose. Janis is attending the U. of A.

Nora Isaman (1950) attended school in Consort and Stettler. Nora attended the University of Alberta and graduated from the Faculty of Education. Nora married Jim Hutchings (1944). They have four children, Jodi (1972), Darren (1973), Bradley (1976) and Nicole (1983). Jim and Nora farm south of Consort.

Jodi married Jay Kurek (1969) and they have two children, Damien (1989) and Analisha (1991). They live in Consort where Jay works at NAPA and does some part-time work on the farm.

Jim Isaman (1952) did a lot of curling in the Consort area in his school years. He married Yvonne Worobo (1954) and they have two children, Sheldon (1975) and Janelle (1978). Yvonne is an Registered Nursing Aide and works in the Consort Hospital. Jim owns and operates a farm in the Loyalist area. Jim also is the manager of the NAPA store in Consort.

Sheldon works in the oil industry and is presently setting up a warehouse in Calgary for his firm.

Janelle is furthering he education at the University of Alberta in the fall of 1996.



Don Isaman (1959) attended school in Stettler, and Consort. Don worked for his brother-in-law, Jim Hutchings on Jim's farm. Don married Marie Crawford (1963) and they lived in Calgary. They moved to Wainwright where Don is a C.A. and is in partnership in an accounting firm. They have four children: Sammantha (1987), Derek (1989), Melissa (1992) and Thomas (1994).

Carole (1961) and her husband Bruce Gill (1962) live in Red Deer with their two children, Landyn (1992) and Denelle (1994). Carole had worked at the Royal Bank for several years.

Jordan & Chelsea


JoAnn (1962) her husband Tony Peters (1960) son Jordan (1992) and a daughter Chelsea (1995) live in Edmonton. Tony is a mechanic and worked a great deal of the time out of Edmonton. In the fall of 1995 Tony went into a partnership and the company is in Edmonton.

Jean Deagle was born on July 18, 1927 in Consort, Alberta. Jean excelled in track and field during her school years. Her dad often boasted she could run a race, stop at the end and watch the rest of the competitors cross the finish line.

Following secretarial training at Alberta College in Edmonton, she was employed at the Special Areas office in Consort.

The story goes that Jean stole Ted born March 29, 1925, from his girl friend when she was at bingo. However it went, Jean married Ted Deagle on January 17, 1947. Ted fit in well with the Kelts clan as he was very active in sports playing baseball for Consort. Ted's father Henry came to Consort from Rollo Bay, P.E.I, and his mother Katheryn came from Michigan.

The Deagles farmed three miles west of Consort farming eleven quarters of land with Ted's brother.


Ted drove the school bus for eighteen years before they sold the farm and moved into Consort in 1966.

In 1970 the Deagles took their first long trip with the family traveling to Redding, California to visit Jean's sister Eileen and family.

In 1971 Ted and Jean built a new home in Consort. Ted was employed at the Consort Hospital as Maintance Manager. Jean was the Office Manager for the Special Areas. They both took retirement in 1990.

After Ted and Jean made their first trip, they now had the "bug" and in 1979 and 1982 they went to Las Vegas with friends to try their hand at gambling. In 1980 they travelled to California visiting Jean's sister Eileen and family as well as spending time in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Disneyland. In 1983 Jean and Ted travelled to Hawaii with friends. Numerous other trips have taken them to The Southern States, Florida and winters spent in warmer climates.

Diane Deagle (1947) was very active in basketball and volleyball in her school years. She took her Registered Nursing Aide course in Edmonton and after her marriage to Claud Zinger (1942), she works in the Cornation hospital.

Claud and Diane made a trip to Europe before settling down on their farm north of Coronation. Claud was very active in the sport of curling and playing baseball in the area. He was also in a family band playing for area dances for years.

The Zingers are involved in the 4H club and are very involved with their four children: Denise (1969), Darren (1970), Danny (1974) and Dwayne (1976). Denise married Bryce Cooke (1970).




After her schooling in Consort, Judy Deagle (1949) took her formal training at McTavish College in Edmonton. She then took up a position as a bookkeeper with Family Services in Edmonton.

Judy married Bill Gould (1947) and they live in Morinville where Bill is employed with the Alberta Government Telephones. They have three children: Tracy (1973), Cory (1976) and Kimberly (1979).

Connie Deagle (1950), like her older sister, became a Certified Nursing Aide and continues her profession at the Consort Hospital. Connie married Denis Weichnik in 1969. Four years following her divorce she married Peter Tyliszczak (1950) and they live in Consort. Connies daughter Tammy (1974) married Trevor Fawcett (1969). Connies son Chris (1973) lives in Edmonton.

Theodore Deagle (1953) after schooling which included sports such as baseball and hockey, went into the meat business in Red Deer. In 1972, he married Debbie Knudson (1954). Six months after their marriage, they returned to Consort where Teddy took a job with Barnwell of Canada doing oil field work for several years.

Teddy and Debbie have two children, Jennifer (1973) and Daryl (1975). The Deagles live seven miles north of Consort on twenty acres where they have a few horses and Teddy still keeps busy cutting some meat.

Jennifer married Cory Martinussen (1970) and they have a son, Tyler (1992).

In 1983, the family took their camper and made a trip to Mississippi.

Teddy is semi-retired and enjoys his horses and "roughing it" in the mountains.




Debbie Deagle (1957) was the fifth arrival. Following her graduation, she moved to Edmonton where she was employed as a telephone operator for a time and later as a bank teller. She toured Europe in 1978 then returned to Consort to go back into the banking business.

Debbie married Grant Carl (1957) and they live in Consort where Grant is employed with Baker Performance Chemicals. They have three children: Richelle (1982), Jason (1985) and Brittany (1989). Grant is very involved in community affairs and was a member of the town council. In 1995 he became the mayor of Consort.

William Deagle (1959) excelled at all sports during his school years, winning a large collection of trophies and medals. Billy was scouted for the Canadian Olympic volleyball team. Bill worked in the oil fields as an assistant driller. He has completed three years of an apprenticeship course in sheet metal. He works as a battery operator for Petro Rep.

Billy married Stacy Wollman (1961) and I hope she is a good cook. I remember a time his mother made a loaf of sandwiches, a can of soup, cookies and fruit to last him a day in the field, only to have him come home at one p.m. after breaking down and he had already eaten all of the lunch. They live in Consort with sons Darcey (1985) and Dustin (1988).

Stacy is employed at the seniors lodge in Consort.


Robert Deagle (1965) completed his schooling in Consort and he too was very active in sports. During the last three years of high school, Robert was kept busy in the summer months building grain bins.


Robert attended Red Deer College to take his Bachelor of Commerce. Robert married Rhonda Allison (1964) and they live in Veteran with daughters, Melissa (1985), Nicole (1987), Samantha (1989) and sons, Aaron (1993) and Bradon (1996). Robert is doing accounting for a machine company in Coronation where he has advanced to assistant manager. He enjoys wood working in his spare time.

Eileen Kelts was born on October 31, 1929, she went to school in Consort where she was active in track and field. She was praticularly good at the high jump. She went to Alberta College and took a business course. Eileen then took a job with the Royal Bank in Consort.

Eileen belonged to the church choir and enjoyed going to the local hockey games. She worked for a time in Edmonton. Eileen returned to Consort and met and married Bob Hobbs (1928) who was working for National Geophysical, an oil survey company. Bob was born in Grants Pass, Oregon; his parents Frank and Josephine Hobbs came from Montana. Bob's mother was born in Colorado and Bob's father was born in Michigan. His parents homesteaded in had Montana in 1910.

Bob's job took them to many locations from the Gulf Coast in Texas to the muskeg in northern Alberta. In one period of twenty four months they moved thirty-two times. They decided the nomadic life was not for them so in 1956 Bob started to college working towards a degree in Architectural Engineering at California Polytechnic University in San Luis Obispo, California.

After graduating in 1960 they moved to San Francisco for a couple of years and then back to San Luis Obispo where they lived until moving to their present home in Redding, California in 1965.


Bob opened a civil engineering office in Redding and the family enjoyed the country-style and the closeness of the mountains and lakes while their family was growing up. Bob worked under contract to a firm in the East Bay area of San Francisco and commuted to Redding. Eileen is a bookkeeper for a local Redding firm. They have three children Holly, Randy and Leslie.

Holly (1957) and her husband Mark (1956) lived in San Diego, where Mark was serving as an officer in the U.S. Navy. Holly was teaching at a prison school for teen-age boys. They are involved in church and their home.

They moved to Eugene, Oregon where Mark works for Spectra Physics, making scanning equipment. Holly works with emotional handicapped children, their parents and teachers. They have two sons, Kai (1990) and Talen (1992).


Randy (1964) attended school in Redding where he was very active in sports (running & pole vaulting). He spent summers surveying and after graduating from high school in 1982 he attended a local college studying Engineering. After three years he decided Engineering wasn't for him so he pursued other jobs for awhile and then decided to return to college. He attended Long Beach State in southern California majoring in Physical Therapy. After graduation in 1994 he'd had enough of the "rat race" so he moved back to northern California where he works as a Physical Therapist in Chico (about 70 mi. from Redding). He enjoys running, mountain biking, water & snow skiing and ocean diving.

Leslie (1967) graduated from high school in 1985 and took additional schooling in Paris, France and traveled Europe. She returned to California in 1987 and pursued a four year degree in biology. Jack Hubbard (1961) became a permanent fixture when the two married in 1992. Jacks parents Dale (1930) and Lotus (1933) Hubbard live in Eureka, California. For the next several, the happy nuptials lead a nomadic lifestyle while Leslie studied salamanders and bats and Jack worked as a smokejumper in the Western United States, Alaska and Canada.

Now, they live in Trinity County, a remote area in northern California one hour west of Bob and Eileen's house in Redding, accessible only to hearty travelers immune to motion sickness and willing to endure a very curvy road. They spend free time backpacking, water-skiing and snow skiing. Jack is an avid hunter and Leslie is a dedicated runner.

Preston (Bud) Kelts was born on January 22, 1933; he grew up on his parents farm on the outskirts of the town of Consort, Alberta. He went to school in Consort as well as one year in Red Deer.

Bud and his brother Arley were very close in age and grew up together with very much mischief in the process. They caused their parents some concern on one occasion when they spent several days in the trees near their home rather than in a class room. Their father informed them this must stop as the family was in danger of losing the family allowance so that was the end of skipping school.

Bud was active in most areas of sports but excelled in track and field, hockey and baseball. He pitched for the Consort baseball team as well as some of the surrounding area baseball teams. He played forward and some defence for the local hockey team.


Bud married a local girl Irene Kurek (1935) who had gone to school with him. They moved to his parent's farm were Bud farmed with his father. He owned one quarter of land and his first crop went fifty bushels to the acre and gave them a good start. Bud's keen interest in sports and his love of hunting kept his father busy trying to keep him on the farm.

Having fires seems to be a part of the family tradition and in 1968 Irene and Bud had a fire start in their basement from rubber underlay; it caused much smoke damage.

On June 9, 1969 Irene suffered a stroke spending several weeks in the hospital in Edmonton. Irene made a partial recovery and is able to get around on her own but was not able to do much around the home. A great deal of the work had to be taken on by the young family. Bud now farms twenty seven quarters of land seeding about eighteen hundred acres of grain each year. He as raises cattle and show horses and more recently ostriches.

Bud still enjoys hunting as much as ever and at one time spend as much time as possible hunting coyotes, big game and geese. For the past twenty seven years Irene and Bud have entertained doctors and their friends from Seattle who come to Consort to hunt geese each fall. Bud has shot all types of game in the area with the exception of goat and caribou.


Irene and Bud have spent a great deal of time traveling. They have visited Bud's sister Eileen in California on six or seven occasions. They have travelled to several centres with the Consort Oldtimers Hockey club such as Victoria, Edmonton, Anaheim, Regina and Saskatoon. Bud also made a trip to Copenhagen, Denmark with the Red Dear Oldtimers Hockey Team. Irene made a trip to the Yukon with a bus tour. They have travelled with Bud's brother Donald and his wife Dot to Oklahoma City to see the rodeo finals.

Irene and Bud continue to live on their farm north of Consort where Bud now farms with his son Bill.

Bud and Irene have four children: Bill, Kathy, Maureen and Joan.

Bill Kelts (1956) took his schooling in Consort and like his father is interested in most sports. Bill pitched and played baseball for the team in Consort. Hockey was his best sport; he played for Consort and then went to Blairmore to play for the Red Devils where he was called "Gabby" as he was so quiet. Bill then played for the Kamloops Rockets before moving to the Calgary Centennials for one season before he called it quits.

Bill married Margaret Bryan (1956) and they have three children: Jennifer (1977), Bradley (1980) and Mark (1983). They farm about eighteen hundred acres of crop each year and farm with his father Bud.

Bill thinks one of his dad's famous quotes is up there with some of Confucius's when he said "You can do twice as much with two outfits as one."

Bill says he is best known as a golfer but to date we have seen no evidence of this.

Kathy Kelts (1957) grew up in Consort and like the rest of her family she was very active in track and field. At the age of seven she gave the family a scare when she was operated on for a ruptured appendix.

After schooling Kathy took a hairdressing course in Calgary. After her mother's stroke Kathy took over the running of the home at age fourteen.

Kathy married Ken Grover (1957) and they have three children: Cory (1977), Danielle (1979) and Tyler (1984). Ken works at the Consort Gas Plant. The Grover family have built a new home north of Loyalist.


Maureen Kelts (1961) grew up in Consort and naturally was active in track and field winning many ribbons. She spent as much time as possible riding horses.

For her role as homemaker she won the Governor Generals Award as Junior Citizen of the year.

Maureen took a nursing aid course in Edmonton and worked in the Consort Hospital. Maureen married David Gould (1954) and they live on the Gould farm where David farms with his family. They have three children: Julie (1984), Lorie (1986) and Craig (9191).

Joan Kelts (1965) was born in Consort where she took her schooling. She made it up to the zone finals in track and field to keep up the family tradition.

Joan is fortunate to have travelled to Europe and played in a volleyball tournament in Germany in April of 1982.

Joan married Keith Witmack (1958) and still is very fond of horses and rides as much as possible. Keith and Joan are also in the ostrich breding business.

Joan and Keith recently adopted a son Kolby (1994).

Arley Kelts was born on December 5, 1933, he took his schooling in Consort and in his early school years would spend much of his recess time fighting with class mates or if times were slow he would take on his brother Bud.


In 1941 an incident occurred on the Marion Kelts ranch, which might prove of interest. Marion had sent his two, very mischievous little sons, Arley and Bud, (Preston) to care for some cattle. The sloughs were frozen over, the ice very slick. The boys were amused with the cattle slipping and sliding on the ice so they started teasing a big bull, normally very placid. The bull became enraged and the boys had great fun watching him attempt to charge them, while they stayed beyond his reach on the ice. Finally the game became dull, but how were they to get back to their horse? Eventually, one kept the bulls attention while the other circled, mounted and drove the cows toward the farm building. The angry bull finally joined his herd, permitting rescue of the other lad. During the evening Ethel took the younger members of the family, with the exception of Lorna, who remained home with her father, to the show. Shortly after their departure Marion heard the snuffling and snorting of the angry bull as he circled the house. Marion attempted to drive him away, throwing coal at him, but to no avail. When Ethel and the children returned, Marion met them carrying a baseball bat. He told them to dash into the house, but fast, and when they were all safe explained the problem The bull was still rampaging about but when the house lights were turned out he seemed to calm down. One problem remained. Donald and the hired man were still out and the Bull met their car when they drove into the yard. The boys soon realized he was not what one could call friendly so wisely drove as close to the bunk house dooor as possible and dashed in. Mr. bull was foiled again/ and after the insult he had had/ was not in any mood to be pacified. The bull was feeling much the same way in the morning so Marion decided to ship the bull.

Arley was very active in hockey and baseball/ playing on the local teams. In July 1951 Arley met Rosemary Vetter (1934) at the Consort sports day. Rosemary and her family lived north east of >Veteran and she took her schooling at Veteran/ Castor and Consort. Her parents were Bannard and Josephine (Lyons) Vetter.

On April ll, 1952 Arley and Rosemary were married. For the first year they lived in a rented home in Consort. They then moved to the Ervin Brown farm located three miles north of Loyalist. They had purchased the three quarters of land and moved into the old house on this farm.

Over the years with much hard work and dedication they have built this farm up to eighteen quarters of land. Arley and his son Brian put in about sixteen hundred acres of crop each year as well as look after a good herd of cattle.

In 1972 Rosemary and Arley built a new home on their farm. Arley's abilities lie in mechanics and carpentry and thus he was able to do a great deal of the finishing of his home.

Rosemary was an ardent homemaker, always had a large garden and in the early years worked side by side with Arley in the farm work. Rosemary had a great fear of lizzards and one time in their old home she was washing clothes in the basement and saw a lizzard. She walked right over Arley who was sitting on the stairs.

Arley enjoys big game hunting and has played the last several years on the Consort Oldtimers Hockey team which has played in tournaments in Edmonton/ St. Paul/ Saskatoon/ Vancouver/ Los Angeles and Hawaii.

In 1980 Rosemary and Arley made their first long trip to Spokane, Seattle, Redding, Sacramento, Anehiem, Mexico, Los Angeles, Montana and home. They visited Arley's sister Eileen and family.

In 1985 they purchased a motor home and boat and enjoyed traveling around the country side camping and fishing. They travelled to Fort McMurry and up the Athabasca river camping out in tents with their friends. Rosemary enjoyed this roughing it and especially the threat of meeting a bear. Brian, the oldest of their two sons after completing schooling in Consort attended Olds College to take Mechanics. As quiet as Brian is today it is hard to believe he could embarrass his mother, but as a youngster he did just that. It seems they had a neighbour who borrowed their truck on a regular basis returning it with little gas in it. The next time the man returned the truck Brian said "My mom says you should put gas in the truck the next time you use it".

Arley and Rosemary moved into a new home in Consort in 1990.

On November 22/ 1995 Rosemary died after a long struggle with cancer.

While attending Olds College Brian (1956) met Deb Weaver (1955) who lived south of Calgary. Brian and Deb were married and lived near his parents home. They farmed fourteen quarters of land raised cattle.

After their marriage Deb worked for a time in the Royal Bank in Consort. They were fond of traveling and in 1981 went to Hawaii with friends and were able to visit the area that Deb was born in. In 1983 they took a trip through the central states and over to California to vist Eileen and Bob Hobbs and then home through Montana.

Brian and Deb were blessed with a baby daughter Ashley (1984). Deb died on November 6, 1984 in a tragic accident.

Brian married Susan Sortland (1964) and they have a daughter Breanne (1988) and a son Coleman (1994). Brian is farming as well as owning and operating heavy equipment.


Bruce (1963) the youngest son, after his schooling in Consort went to Red Deer and took a heavy duty mechanics course. This is right down his line as Bruce is very interested in cars. He restored a 1951 Mercury truck and is now working on a 1939 Chev with Rosemary's 1955 Studebaker next on the list. Bruce is farming with Arley.

Lorna Kelts was born on March 14, 1938 in Consort, Alberta. She went to school at Consort until grade eleven. She took grade eleven at Red Deer Composite High School.

Her best friend from grade three until grade ten was Shirley Schooler. The only thing unusual about this was that Shirley was her niece but was still close to Lorna's age.

Lorna spent a good deal of time at Schooler's, her oldest sister's place. She, Don, Shirley and Bob spent hours playing games, cowboys and Indians and building forts in the tree at Schooler's.

Lorna also was at Muriel and Lester's and also Jean and Ted's a fair amount. As a result, she grew up with the kids and really enjoyed them. Nieces and nephews are special people.

After her year in Red Deer, Lorna went to Edmonton to take a business course at McTavish Business School. There she met Irene Schultz and later shared a basement suite with her.

The years between the summer of 1957 and the summer of 1959 were spent doing several different stenographers jobs in Edmonton. In the spring of 1959, she returned to Consort to work in the Municipal Office there, Lorna enjoyed this job.

In the fall of 1960 Lorna returned to Edmonton to train as a Certified Nursing Aide. While taking her training, she met Eva MacFarlene. Eva was working at Nora and Pat Lavery's for her room and board. It was through Eva that Lorna met the Lavery's who introduced her to Gilbert Roth (1938), her future husband. Gil is the youngest son of Olive and Carl Roth of Heisler, Alberta. Lorna graduated from her Nursing Aide course in December of 1961.

Lorna and Gil were married in Edmonton on April 28, 1962. Gil was assistant department manager for Woodwards at the time.


Lorna and Gil lived in a nice new basement suite when Joan arrived on January 26, 1963. They stayed on there for about a year, then moved into the Brentwood Apartments out by Westmount were Gil was working at that time. Brenda was born November 13, 1964. Would you believe FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH? Since then Friday the thirteenth has been a good day for them.

When Brenda was about six months old they moved into their first house. Gil worked at Northgate at that time. On September 21, 1966 Barbara was born. When Barbara was ten months old the family moved to Calgary.

On May 24, 1969, daughter Sandra, number four arrived. When Sandy was two, Grandpa Kelts passed away. It was truly a sad time for the Kelts family. He is still missed.

These were busy years for the family; of course, the girls did and said many priceless things in this time.

Joan was a very energetic happy girl who loved to tease the others. Unforunately whenever there was trouble, Joan's name was first on the list to be called.

Brenda was a sweet little thing who never seemed to get into trouble. There was one time however, when the girls had just had their hair cut, but they decided it looked like so much fun that they would try it. Joan cut one of the doll's hair and Brenda proceeded to cut Barb's hair. She cut it so short that when a friend of ours came for supper a few days later, he asked "And whose little fellow is this?"

Barbara was the spicey little one, and sometimes said what she thought. Like the time she asked her Uncle Roy when he was going home.

Sandra was always a sleepy little gal and we never had to worry about her going to sleep. After lunch she always fell asleep eating her last mouth full of food.

Sandy was a little better than two years old when the family moved back to Edmonton for ten months. Gil worked at the downtown Woodward store.

When Joan was in grade four, the family moved once more back to Calgary to Lake Bonavista. Gil had the job of Ass't Store Manager of the Chinook store. The family enjoyed Lake Bonavista; they spent a lot of time at the lake. The girls took skating, dancing, went to Brownies and took music there.

We spent four and a half years at Calgary and then we were transferred back to Edmonton.

Before our last transfer we lost Grandma Kelts. So again the Kelts family went through an unhappy time.

Since the move back to Edmonton many things have happened. Many nieces and nephews have married; Gil has worked in the Downtown and Southgate stores and he took early retirement in April of 1989.

Joan graduated from nursing January 1984. After trips through Europe and the Pacific rim, Joan went back to University and obtained her Bachelor of Science in Nursing at the University of Alberta. She is head nurse on the second floor of the Good Samaritan Hospital. She lives close to us in her condo. Joan enjoys golfing and curling, two hobbies she has recently taken up.

Brenda had a keen interest in music playing the piano and clarinet. She taught piano an our home when she was in high school. She played clarinet in the All City Band.

Brenda graduated from the University of Alberta's Education Program and spent three years teaching grade five and music at St. Joseph's school in Lloydminster, Alberta. In 1990 she moved to Stony Plain and was teaching grade four and music. Brenda married Phil Russell (1963) from Wlldwood, Alberta and they live in their new home in Stony Plain. Phil is the son of Ernie and Caroline Russell of Wildwood, Alberta. Phil is a T.V. camera man and Brenda now teaches grade one.

Barb graduated from the University of Alberta's Dietetic Program and worked at the Canadian Cancer Society in Edmonton. Barb married Dale Fedoruk (1966) in June of 1989 and they lived in Morinville. Dale was born in Vegreville, the second son of Adeline and Art Fedoruk. He is the Manager o£ the Farm Suppy Centre with the Alberta wheatpool in westlock. Barb got a position in westlock and they sold their home and bought a new home in Westlock in 1990. Barb and Dale have made trips to Phoenix, Canccun Mexico and went on a Carribean cruise. On June 28, 1993 Christopher James was born, our first grandchild.


Sandy graduated from the Secretarial Studies Program at Grant MacEwen College and worked for the Alberta Government in the Occupational Health and Safety Department. She has since moved to the Department of Labor. She recently moved in with Joan. Sandy has managed to do some traveling. She went to England with a friend in 1990 and she went to Hawaii with Lorna in 1991.

Lorna has been busy in the church group, meals on wheels and worked for Jacqueline Promotions and Sunbeam as a food demonstrator. She was on the social committee in our complex.

Since retirement Lorna and I spend part of the winter enjoying the California and Arizona sunshine.

In 1993 we moved to the Horizon Village in south Edmonton. We also sold our motorhome and purchased a 35 foot trailer in Sun City, Arizona.

Now I can do what I do best - Nothing.